Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Mandie Sunderland, NUH Chief Nurse

As I write, I’ve been in my new job for just 4 weeks. It’s early days, but I knew within hours of arriving at NUH that there was something special about working here.

In fact, I had a feeling before I had even started my dream job from the conversations I had with peers across the country that there was just something different about the place. And boy was I right!

I’ve never worked anywhere where there is such a strong sense of pride and loyalty among staff. You can feel it everywhere you go. It gives me such a buzz to know that staff want to do the best and as important believe they can do amazing things. They are up for the challenge for taking NUH forward, as am I.

My ambition for nursing and midwifery at NUH is simple. I want Nottingham to be recognised internationally for high standards of nursing and midwifery care.

We certainly start from a good place. And the people’s nurse and midwife of the year awards are one of the many things happening within NUH that set us apart. I’m looking forward to reading the nominations and stories that we receive from patients this year. I’m also looking forward to recognising those nurses and midwives who do amazing things and deliver excellent care to patients.



As I get to know NUH and Nottingham I’ll be spending a lot of time on our wards. Please stop and talk to me if you see me along the way. I always wear uniform when I’m on the wards to keep in touch with who I am and what I am most proud of – being a nurse.


A big thank you to the Nottingham Post and Tramlink for making the People’s Nurse and Midwife of the Year Awards possible. Thanks also to the people of Nottingham and beyond for getting behind these awards and giving recognition where it’s due. We don’t get everything right, but as these awards will show over the coming months, we certainly give it a good go and we have much to be proud of and celebrate. Visit www.nuh.nhs.uk for further information.

No comments:

Post a Comment